Jumping into a pool is not always easy, especially during the spring and fall season, when the weather is cold. Most people might have electric and gas pool heaters to raise the temperature of their pools.
Sadly, it can be costly to operate these types of heaters. That is when you might need a solar pool heater.
But there are dozens of solar heaters out there. Hence, what is the best solar pool heater?
Read on to find out about these pool heaters.
Review of Top 9 Solar Pool Heaters
Any of the solar pool heaters in this review can warm your facility and make it more welcoming.
1. SunHeater S120U Universal Solar Pool Heater
It is a wide solar heater that keeps your pool warm to extend the swimming season. Here are its features:
- DIY installation: It is easy to install without seeking professional help.
- For all pools: The model is recommended for both the above ground and inground swimming pools.
- Flexible installation: You can install it on the fence, rack, ground, or roof.
- Patented web design: The design ensures that the panels get maximum heat exposure.
- Universal fitting: It can fit your current pool pump. You do not need to change your plumbing.
- Raises temperature: The solar heater can increase the pool’s temperature by up to 10 degrees.
- Durable model: The product can last for decades without getting damaged or losing its effectiveness.
- Easy to install: It is a product you can install without seeking professional help.
2. SmartPool S240U Pool Solar Heaters
At #2 is a heating system that can provide value for money and last for decades. Here are its features:
- Solar pool heater: The heater allows you to collect heat from the sun to raise your pool temperature. It is a cost-effective and efficient heating system.
- Prolongs pool season: The heater allows you to continue swimming even when winter comes. It also ensures you swim during the chilly nights.
- East to install: The system uses the present filtration system to warm your pool. You also get all the material you require to fix it.
- The tube on web design: It is a superb design that ensures the heater collects maximum heat from the sun. The design also allows the panels to contract and expand.
- Universal system: It is a solar heater that can fit most plumbing and use for most swimming pools.
3. Blue Wave NS6028 SolarPRO Curve Solar Heater
It is one of the best solar heaters for above ground swimming pools. The system offers the following features:
- Unique curved shape: The curved shape allows for maximum heat absorption to heat your pool faster.
- Uses coils: It comes with a 51-foot long coil inside the heating station. That ensures more water gets heated as it passes through the chamber.
- For 30 ft. pools: It is the perfect model for Intex above ground pool of 12,000 gallons.
- Stainless steel hose clamps: They ensure that your pool heater resists rust and corrosion.
- Two installation hoses: The hoses ensure the water gets a lot of space when heating up.
- Connect multiple heaters: That can increase the heating capacity to make your pool even warmer.
- Easy to install: You can take about 60 minutes to install the pool heater.
4. Goplus Solar Dome Swimming Pool Heater
It is a solar heater that was designed to heat an above ground swimming pool. Here are its benefits:
- Environmentally friendly: It is a heater that does not pollute the air or affect the environment. That is possible since it requires no electricity or gas.
- Extends swimming season: The heater can enable you to prolong your swimming season by a couple of weeks. It also makes it possible for the swimmer to swim during the cold nights.
- Saves space: It has a compact design that helps to save space when you install it.
- Protective cover: The cover helps to protect the dome when the heater is not in use.
- Easy to connect: It connects to 1.5-inch hoses to heat your swimming pool.
- Easy to install: You can install it without seeking professional help.
5. SmartPool S601P SunHeater Solar Heating System
The solar heating system is ideal for all inground swimming pools. Some of its main features are:
- Direct flow system: It is a system that offers one header hole for every heating tube to maximize heating.
- Polypropylene heat collector: The heat collector is quite useful and traps every ray of the sun to produce enough heat.
- 80 sq. ft. panels: The panels are large to ensure that more water gets heated at go. That means your facility can get warm faster.
- Raises temperature by 10-degree: It is a solar heater that can increase the water temperature by up to 10 degrees.
- Easy to assemble: You can take about 20 minutes to assemble and be done within an hour.
- Durable material: It is made of durable material to ensure you get service for decades.
- No maintenance: You do not need to maintain this pool heater.
6. SmartPool WWS421P Sunheater Solar Pool Heater
Here is a product that you can install to warm your above ground swimming pool. It comes with lots of features as outlined here:
- Polypropylene heat collector: It is an active collector that can make your pool warm within minutes.
- 80 sq. ft. of panels: That a vast area that ensures more water gets heated within minutes. The surface area helps to collect more heat from the sun compared to other systems.
- All accessories: Its package comes with every accessory you would need when installing it.
- Easy to install: The product was designed to allow DIY installation. No need to seek professional help when putting it together.
- Durable product: It can give you years of service without losing power. It is the only heater you would ever buy for your swimming pool.
7. Sungrabber 2-2’x20’ Solar Pool Heater
The system comes with a diverter that helps to provide adequate flow in one direction. It is the ideal heater for above ground pool and offers these features:
- Simple installation: It comes with all the things you would need to install it. You can take less than an hour to put it in place.
- Standard heater: The heater is compatible with the present pool pump. That removes the need to change your existing pump.
- No bills: It is better than gas and electric heaters because you will not incur operation costs. The model is also environmentally friendly.
- More tubes: The system has more tubes than most brands out there. That makes it more effective in warming your swimming pool.
- Lasts long: You can have confidence the unit can last for decades without getting damaged.
8. SunQuest 1-2’x12’ Solar Swimming Pool Heater
The pool heater comes with add-on couplers to provide effective installation. Its features include:
- For all pools: The heater is recommended for both the above-ground and inground pools. That makes it a versatile product you can get value for when you buy it.
- Max flow design: The design is made better by a 2-inch OD heater to improved water circulation. The pool pump also experiences less backpressure.
- DIY installation: You can quickly assemble and install it without seeking professional help. And it takes less than 60 minutes to install.
- Versatile design: It is compatible with the current pool pump. That means you do not need to change the plumbing or pump.
- 10-degree raise: The solar panels can raise the temperature by up to 10 degrees. It is one of the most effective heaters you can find on the market today.
9. SunQuest 6-2×10 Solar Swimming Pool Heater
It is a complete system for roof installation that comes with all kits you need to fix it. Here are its features:
- For all pools: The panels are made for inground pool and above-ground ones. You can purchase it no matter the type of pool you own.
- Max-flow design: It is a design that allows better water circulation. Max-flow also helps to prevent back pressure on the pump.
- Heat by 10-degree: The system can increase your pool’s temperature by up to 10 degrees.
- DIY installation: Another thing is you can easily install the panels without seeking professional help. That saves you money and time you would have wasted looking for a plumber.
- Versatile model: The system is compatible with most pool pumps. You do not need to buy a pump if you already have one.
Solar Pool Heater Buying/Buyer’s Guide
Knowing the things to watch out for when selecting your solar pool heater can ensure you choose the right unit for your facility. Let us go through some of these things:
1. Know Your Pool Type
A solar heater can work for both the inground and above ground swimming pools. However, its effectiveness depends on the type of pool you have.
An inground pool requires a big solar heater while an above ground one goes well with a small, stand-alone model. Typically, an inground solar heater should be installed on the roof.
2. Know Your Pool Size
Much like adding a glass of hot water into a cold basin, which can barely change the temperature, small solar pool heaters cannot affect the temperature. Your pool’s size plays a critical role when choosing the perfect heater.
A small pool can do well with a small solar pool heater while a big one requires a big heater.
3. Know the Solar Heat Output
The amount of heat a solar heater can provide is related to its size. Some of the enormous models can increase the temperature by 10 degrees F in 12 hours; smaller units can take even a week.
What you should note is that it is not an instant process, it can take time. You should wait and realize the heating process depends on the availability of the sun.
4. Know the Space You Need
The first thing is to know your pool’s size before you even decide about the space your heater might require. You require a solar pool heater that is half your swimming pool size.
That ratio only works for inground pools. An above ground model might require a smaller heater. What that means is big pools need more space to install a solar heater.
5. Know the Installation Process
Solar pool heaters vary from easy to install to slightly tricky systems. Some units stand freely near the pool when you connect them to the filter pump.
Others require an advanced approach, where you need to build frames to support the pipes and fix them on the roof. The important thing is to ensure you get a model with clear installation instructions.
6. Value for Money
Here you need to choose a heater that can provide years of service – for about 20 years. Also, get a solar heater with a warranty that covers panels, pipes, and other parts.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following part look at common questions about solar pool heaters.
Q: How Does a Solar Pool Heater Work?
A: A solar pool heater has a series of tubes called solar collectors, where the water passes. The sun heats that water as it circulates to return into the pool.
That heats your swimming pool to the desired level, depending on how you set the system.
Q: How Much is a Solar Pool Heater?
A: A solar panel goes for about $127 per piece, and the installation price can range from $500 to $1,000. Now the total cost depends on the number of panels you want to install.
Q: How to Install Solar Pool Heater on Roof?
A: Follow these steps when installing your heater on the roof:
- Determine the ideal angle for sun exposure
- Measure to know the number of panels to buy
- Install the heater box
- Connect the pipes
Making Your Decision
There is no denying that solar pool heaters are the most affordable types of heaters when it comes to operation. They can keep your pool warm during the sunny days and even make it possible to swim during the chilly nights.
Now you can head to the market and get the best solar pool heater that can match your need.